At VMSH routine care and preventive medicine is highly important. There are many factors in increasing the health and longevity of your feline’s life.
Routine Feline Vaccinations:
- Rabies Vaccination – Given yearly, protects against the Rabies Virus. Rabies is transmitted via saliva, and is a deadly virus. All animals must be vaccinated by law because this virus can transmitted to other animals including humans.
- Distemper/Calici Vaccination – A combination vaccination that is given yearly to protect cats from common life threatening viruses that can be easily transmitted from cat to cat.
- Leukemia Vaccination – A highly contagious virus that is transmitted by the saliva, once contracted can cause long term health effects and greatly effect quality of life.
Routine Feline Testing:
- Feline Leukemia/FIV Test – Two highly contagious cat virus that plague the health and immune system of our furry friends. Yearly tested in highly recommended.
- Fecal Parasite Test – Recommended every 6 months to test for intestinal parasites commonly found in kittens and cats.
- Chemistry/CBC Blood Profile – The leading cause of death in cats is Kidney disease. Chemistry profiles test for organ function and allow us to get a in depth look into your cat’s health and body function that can not be seen with just a physical exam. CBC, Complete Blood Count, allows is to see how the body’s blood cells are functioning, and can also indicate infections. Regular testing is highly important, we recommend annual screening for adult cats(1-7 year old), and bi-annual screening for senior cats (7+ years old).
Routine Dental Cleaning:
Dr. Kamer and Dr. Hahn recommend yearly dental cleanings for all cats. Oral care is very important. Most people are unable to brush their cats teeth which leads to dental infection, gingivitis, plaque and tarter. Plaque and tarter build up on the teeth is a breeding ground for bacteria which can cause infections to be spread through out the body and vital organs. Here are some tips to help care for your cat’s teeth:
- Annual Dental Cleaning
- Hill’s Prescription T/D – innovative diet developed with a honey combo structure to help clean teeth with every bite.
- CET Dental Chews – a fun, tasty, seafood treat your cat will love. These treats are specially made with enzymes to eliminate bacteria in the mouth.
- Daily Brushing – using only specialized animal toothpaste. Human toothpaste is not recommended for animals and can be toxic.